3.26.2011

One year ago today.

It was March 26th of 2010, exactly one year ago. This is the day that Vanessa and I started our long journey by bicycle that took us from San Diego, Through the southern states of our country and up the east coast all the way to new york. I think about this trip daily, In weird ways. The other day while working I had a strange flashback to a day we were in Mississippi. There was one campground in the area, and they were way over priced. We decided we were perfectly safe setting up camp behind this dentists office, And we were. And It was beautiful. The sunset was perfect. We cooked up a bunch of macaroni and cheese. I'm not sure what else we ate, but probably a bread of some sort and a can of veggies. Those were two things we ate a lot of.
Or I'll say to myself, "I wonder how Tony is doing" our friend we made in Louisiana. An Ex truck driver who injured himself and befriended us inside his cousins restaurant because we were clearly not from around the area and we had some tattoos. Tony drove trucks because he loved traveling and seeing new places, he also Loved tattoos. So we hit it off pretty well. What he did for us, cooking dinner, putting us up in his place for the night. That goes beyond southern hospitality.
Sometimes I'll think back to the worst hardest days of the trip and laugh about it. Im not sure how we made it through some of the things we had to, but it all worked out every time.
I could go on forever, I could talk about each and every one of those 72 days and tell you how amazing it all was. How unexpectedly wonderful the southwest was, How hot and tiring it was to get through the deep south, How Incredible to felt to go to Richmond and DC and be surrounded by friends under the roofs of their houses where we could really relax and be 100 percent carefree for the first time since leaving Richard and Bridgett's apartment That Friday morning on the 26th of march 2010.
Then I think about our return to New York, and how I felt there was no place id rather be in that moment. We had our friends and family there to welcome us and It made for the perfect ending to an incredible 72 days.

But I suppose that's it. It was the end of that trip but the beginning of so much more. Those days of traveling allowed vanessa and I to meditate and think beyond anything we had thought before. For At least 5 hours a day were were sitting on our bicycles pedaling, This gave us more time to ourselves then we had ever experienced in our adult lives.
I believe I will be forever changed as a person due to our travels last year. I also believe that in my dying days I'll look back at that journey as one of the greatest things I had done. I hope to continue to do great things but I have at this point now set the standard high and it will be hard to compare anything to what we have done.
The road, the ever changing landscapes, eating and sleeping outdoors, Being in the best physical shape of my lifetime. These are also things I miss.
It really is hard to look back on it all because It feels bitter sweet. To have done it and for it to be over. But I love where I am today and I wouldn't be here if we hadn't taken that trip. I'm sure I'll be able to say that more and more about things in my life as I grow older. And Really I suppose that trip was just a part of the big picture which I started a long time ago and will continue to work on for years to come.

Thank you everyone. Who supported us, Before during or after. For non of what happened could have if it wasn't for you.

No comments: